148.8 "At Work" Sign for Working at Home

Scott made me this sign a few months ago, when my work at home was just writing Facebook posts and Web content for clients. He said, "Just put this sign up whenever you are at work, so I know not to bother you." He can be so romantic! No really.

I network with hundreds of freelance writers who work at home full time, churning out 500-word articles for content farms. Many of them have spouses, neighbors and other people in their lives who don't leave them alone and let them work when they are at home. Neighbors bring their kids over to be babysat. In-laws stop by to visit. Spouses puff around the house complaining about how there are dirty dishes in the sink.

So, yes, I really do think my Scott is romantic for understanding I need to be left alone while I am writing or editing, even if I am at home. Yesterday, this sign was up from 5 in the morning till 7 in the evening. I took breaks to spend time with him, though.

We walked the dogs an hour in the park. I had another zero gain day yesterday. Here is what I ate:

Small bowl of Special K, strawberries and organic soy milk
Fuji apple sliced and candied with 4 tablespoons chunky peanut butter and 36 dark chocolate chips
Beef and bean burrito with salsa
8 Oreo cookies
Handful of corn tortilla chips and two tablespoons of queso (salsa and cheese dip)
Leftover baked chicken, onions, and carrots
Fuji apple sliced and candied with 4 tablespoons chunky peanut butter and 36 dark chocolate chips

9 comments:

  1. I don't think a sign would work well for me. My dogs are smart, but I don't think they can read (yet).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, Cherise! I actually do pretty well with my family understanding my need to work. They know that I can help us pay bills that way, so it's pretty motivational! But a sign is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good point, MA. My dog distracted me for about three hours yesterday with his barking at the thunder, even though my "at work" sign was up...

    Rebecca, yeah, my husband says it really helps him realize when I am in fact at work. I do play on the computer, too, so I can see his point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog would ignore the sign, too! Or at least try to remove it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign wouldn't work for me either. My son is 3 so I have no hope

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day when I was frazzled, my husband made a sign and taped it to my office door.Then he threatened all the kids so they would actually read the sign and leave me alone. It was peaceful but after a couple of hours...I got lonely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I doubt a sign would work for me and my family, especially my son. So I usually try to get all my work done while my husband is at work and Caden is in school. After that I'm fighting a losing battle lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, Theresa, that's sad, that you got lonely! I take a break every hour and go hug my husband.

    Jelena, yeah, I try to do most of my work while my husband sleeps. He works swing and grave shifts, so he sleeps until noon or 1. I get up with the sun, so that gives me lots of undisturbed time. Sometimes I do have to push through to the evening to finish a project, though, and I know I am lucky that he understands that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Please also sign up to be notified whenever I publish new books!