145.4 Break Your Fast

When I was fat, I often skipped breakfast. I couldn't be bothered to buy strawberries ahead of time or to keep milk in the house. As a result, I gorged myself on donuts whenever someone brought them in, or on whatever pastry snacks were available in the vending machines at work.

For me, it's a fact: eating breakfast protects me from binge eating until lunch time. It's part of my lifestyle change from fat person to fit person. Yesterday, I passed right by the donut holes some well-meaning teacher left in the teacher's lounge. Sadly, another substitute only had a credit card and the cafeteria only takes cash. Those donut holes were all he had to eat. I shared some of my carrot sticks with him.

This photo was my breakfast today. I had a little Special K with my strawberries, hehe! I meant to go to the indoor farmer's market on Thursday, but I got called in to work -- which is fine! I got these at Costco yesterday, where strawberries are once again cheaper than blueberries. I got 4 pounds of strawberries for $6.49!

Yes, by myself I will eat 4 pounds of strawberries before they spoil. I cut them up into tightly sealing plastic containers right away and discard any moldy bits. I soak the cut up parts in water with a few tablespoons of vinegar for a few minutes to kill any remaining mold, and then drain the water. I learned that trick from Pastor Garry Oliver of Lincoln Heights Community Church. Thanks Garry!

I lost 1.6 pounds yesterday that I had gained Wednesday and Thursday. I did this by walking as fast as I could for 90 minutes and eating only the minimum:

Small bowl of Special K and organic soy milk
Raw carrot sticks and 2 tablespoons Parmesan Spinach Dip
Leftover baked chicken, cauliflower, onion and carrots
Two strawberries

Regarding the saying, "Break Your Fast:"

I was taught the etymology of our noun, 'breakfast,' in college English literature classes and in workshops to prepare us to work at the Renaissance Pleasure Faire. Originally, people would tell each other, "Break your fast." They meant that over night, you had been fasting, not eating. Whatever you ate in the morning would break the fast you had started the night before. Gradually, this saying morphed into the noun we use today to describe our morning meal, 'breakfast.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Please also sign up to be notified whenever I publish new books!