147.2 Gringo Tamales

Scott made gringo tamales Monday night. I had them for breakfast yesterday, and for lunch today. They taste so good! I love tamales, but I am never up to all the work that goes into slow cooking the beef or pork and then painstakingly wrapping the individual tamales in corn husks and then steaming them. Nah. I am never going to be Susie Homemaker. Nor Susana Casada.

These gringo tamales will probably make me the laughing stock of every Mexican family who ever hears of this, but I don't care. Part of my lifestyle change is making my own food instead of buying frozen and canned meals, but I still take some short cuts. Scott actually made this. Here is how:

He browned hamburger, drained it, and then added half a chopped onion, half a chopped red bell pepper, half a can of corn, a handful of sliced black olives, a clove of pressed garlic, and an 8 ounce bottle of taco sauce. He brought that to a boil and let it simmer a few minutes until the veggies were all cooked, and then poured it into this oblong glass baking pan.

He sprinkled some grated cheese over that, and then spooned over the cheese some corn  bread batter. The corn bread batter is just an egg, half a cup of milk, half a cup of corn meal, half a cup of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and pinch each of sugar and salt.

He baked all that at 400 for 30 minutes, and then it tasted just like tamales without all the fuss!

------------------------------
I walked my dog a mile in the park yesterday, and I lost .4 pounds. Here is everything I ate:

1 cup of Gringo Tamales
Leftover baked chicken, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower
Half a 12 ounce bag of Pearson's Mint Patties
Beef and bean burrito with salsa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Please also sign up to be notified whenever I publish new books!