150.6 Paisley and Pizza

I really love this dress. I love that it fits me and is a size 8. I love the sky blue color of it. I love the simple clean lines of its shape. I love the decoration on it, inspired by the art of India.

One of the workshops I took in preparation for working the Charles Dickens Christmas Fair on Pier 45 in San Francisco in 1987 was on Victorian fabrics. They claimed that paisley patterns and shapes were inspired by mango fruits. I found that charming, and I have loved paisley ever since. For me, paisley symbolizes everything sophisticatedly British.

The funny thing is, Brits probably associate paisley with India, while the rest of the world associates paisley with Britain. It's probably the same with most American food. We associate it with the country it allegedly comes from, but the rest of the world thinks of our style of cheesy pizza as American.

I stumbled upon this bit of information when reading Trip Advisor reviews of the Port Angeles, WA restaurant Bella Italia. Some of the foreign visitors say this "Italian" restaurant is everything but Italian. Some of the American visitors love that the restaurant features local Northwest wines. Empire does weird things to a country's image. Some love the symbols of the head of an empire, others hate them, but everyone has an opinion.

Pizza is one of my weaknesses. It and donuts and pie crust are the only flour that really tempt me, anymore. I am going to have to skip the donut today at church. I gained 1.4 pounds yesterday eating pizza, and am once again over goal. I walked my mile. Here is everything I ate:

Small bowl of Special K and organic soy milk
1/4 cup peanut M&Ms
3 slices of Costco combo pizza
1/4 cup peanut M&Ms
2 slices of Costco combo pizza
1/4 cup peanut M&Ms
Sliced Gala apple with 2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter and 36 dark chocolate chips




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Please also sign up to be notified whenever I publish new books!